Thriving local businesses are part of our vibrant community, and I’m passionate about helping them to succeed. Our High Street has a huge number of local independent shops. It’s important to make sure they can succeed, both so local residents can use them, but also to keep our area somewhere people want to spend the day and spend money.
1. Protecting our pubs
Hampstead is known for its large number of pubs, but the number has fallen rapidly in recent years. With Conservative councillors and local residents, I’m campaigning to preserve our pubs: including re-opening the Magdala and the Old White Bear.
2. Reforming Business Rates
I’m looking at ways to make sure Business Rates are imposed locally in a way that reflects the contribution that businesses make to the local community. Rates are sadly going up in Hampstead due to rising property prices, and that means using every power we have to make it affordable for local businesses.
3. Support the free press
I’m an ardent supporter of a free press, and particularly of ensuring local press stays viable. Camden is blessed in having not one but two high-quality weekly newspapers. But they are under pressure, as local papers are everywhere, including from Camden Council competing with them. I support Camden assisting, not competing with, the local papers and oppose regulation of our press.
4. Making Hampstead High Street work for everyone
The local Conservative team is pushing for Tesco to use smaller vans to delivery to the store on Heath Street to reduce traffic congestion.
I got Camden to deploy free super-fast public wi-fi in areas across the borough: becoming the first local authority to do so in the country.
Hampstead’s village atmosphere requires not just green spaces and beautiful residential areas. It relies on local businesses providing diverse shops, places to socialise, and employment opportunities. That means standing up for our businesses and helping them thrive.
News about this campaign
- 1 April 2019: Oliver writes ACV letter to help re-open Magdala
- 24 February 2019: Old White Bear granted ACV renewal
- 26 January 2019: Globe Tennis Club saved after two-year campaign
- 14 December 2018: Oliver writes letter backing renewal of ACV status for Old White Bear
- 2 September 2018: Belsize Village needs a level playing field
- 8 June 2018: Squatting at Maison Blanc shows law has to change
- 28 July 2017: Visiting the Globe’s open day and supporting their cause
- 17 July 2017: Occupation of the White Horse shows need for action on squatters
- 21 March 2017: A vote for the Conservatives is a vote for a free press
- 2 March 2017: Camden Labour’s new ‘Tennis Tax’ charges people £1,500 to teach tennis
- 22 February 2017: Camden should reward community assets
- 21 January 2017: Oliver proposes motion to give ACVs relief on their Business Rates
- 8 January 2017: Save the free press: my response to the government’s press policy consultation
- 14 December 2016: Community Toilet Scheme is no substitute for public toilets
- 1 December 2016: Camden should support pubs with Business Rates Relief
- 24 November 2016: Old White Bear to re-open in big win for Hampstead residents
- 10 November 2016: Camden wastes £60,000 of taxpayers’ money unnecessarily competing with local press
- 6 November 2016: Camden adopts Oliver’s proposal for super-fast public wi-fi
- 6 June 2016: ACVs deserve our support as well as our protection
- 2 March 2016: Camden should follow New York and deploy super-fast public wi-fi
- 27 January 2016: Oliver votes against Camden’s poorly-planned Late Night Levy
- 20 January 2016: Victory for Londoners as Boris Johnson vetoes ‘ludicrous and Neanderthal’ over-regulation of Uber
- 4 November 2015: Holly Bush pub protected as an Asset of Community Value
- 2 October 2015: Camden Conservatives write to Boris Johnson to oppose over-regulation of Uber
- 27 August 2015: The Magdala reopens after Conservative campaign to save it
- 24 April 2015: Magdala to reopen this June in victory for local Conservatives
- 10 April 2015: Pub demolition adds impetus to save locals
- 5 April 2015: Happy Easter from Hampstead!
- 3 March 2015: Conservative plan to preserve services, cut Council Tax, and extend free parking rejected by Labour
- 26 February 2015: Tesco must play by the rules